Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Garden begins

Today, I started some garden preparations!  No, even though it was really sunny today, I wasn't able to work in the garden outside.  But I worked on getting my indoor greenhouse set up for starting seeds.

I went through the seeds I have already accumulated and began work on what I am going to include in the garden.  I'm pretty upset that it appears that my tattered garden book is gone.  I'm assuming someone thought its raggedness warranted throwing it away.  Sigh.  So I am starting a new one!  

I've put those trays with the little peat pods in my greenhouse.  Each of the big trays holds 72 seedlings.  One of them is dedicated to the seven varieties of tomatoes I plant.  I generally put out about 60 plants, the others are "just in case" plants.  Just in case I kill a couple!  Hey, it happens to the best of us.  The other tray will be for various other plants, cucumbers, leeks are going already, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini and yellow squash and some others.  I also have some smaller clay pots that I started the herbs in.  

Here is a view inside of my greenhouse:


This is my new set up, I got the greenhouse at Lowe's for under $40, it's much bigger than my previous arrangement.  In the past, I turned a fish tank into a seedling terrarium.  One issue I had with this is with the tank on its stand, I needed a step ladder to reach anything inside it.  Shoot, when I first started gardening, I put the plants in cardboard boxes and put Saran Wrap on top to keep as much warmth and humidity in as possible.  Improvise, there are tons of ways to make this work!

I put a light inside this plastic covered shelving unit to aid in keeping it warm.  I do this because we set the thermostat back at night and it's cooler downstairs.  The plastic helps to keep the warmth and humidity in.  

It was so nice to be able to get my hands in dirt in a way that I actually like!  LOL.  Getting seedlings going means that Spring is almost here!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment