Friday, February 22, 2013

Baking on Snow Days

Well, it's not exactly a "snow day" but more of an "ice day" here.  The kids didn't have school today and I didn't venture out either.  As much as I love my History class, it wasn't worth my safety and that of others to try to skate on the interstate!  

Being cold and dreary out is a great day to bake.  The oven being on makes the kitchen feel warm and cozy.  I tend to get on a baking binge and stock things up in the freezer.  

Today, I made the kids mini cupcakes.  We aren't big cake eaters here, most of it will go to waste.  Mini cupcakes are the answer!  When I make them, I ice a few and put the rest in the freezer in a Ziploc.  Then we can take a dozen out at a time.  It only takes a minute to ice them.  

I also had to restock our banana bread stock.  I used to take my banana bread recipe and make it in the mini muffin pan as well but, they tend to dry out a bit quicker.  I found these great mini loaf pans somewhere and they are great!  The loaves stay moist and for my husband, one is a single serving and the kids share one.  The banana bread in the picture for this blog is from a mini loaf pan.

I collect old cookbooks and this recipe is from a 1966 edition of the American Home All-Purpose Cookbook.

2 c. sifted all-purpose flour
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
2-3 medium-size bananas
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (OPTIONAL)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease & flour whatever pan you want to use
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together, set aside
Beat sugar, shortening and eggs for 3 minutes on medium speed with mixer
Mash bananas

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with bananas beginning and ending with the flour mixture.  
Blend well after each addition

If using nuts, stir them in now

Put into pans 
If you are using a loaf pan, it will take about 60-70 minutes in the oven.  If you're using mini-muffin pans I start checking them at about 12 minutes.  For my mini loaf pans, I start checking them at 18 minutes.  They are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

When I pull them from the oven, I let them cool for a few minutes (maybe 5) and then turn them out on a wire rack to cool.

Once cooled COMPLETELY, I wrap the mini-loaves in press and seal or wax paper and then put them into Ziploc bags.  I wrap them in the wax paper or the press and seal wrap because when you warm them in the microwave, they don't get that soggy, rubbery feel that things do when you warm them in plastic wrap.

I generally double this recipe so that I have a really good stock in the freezer for cold mornings.  I feel like June Cleaver to be able to whip out some warm bread for breakfast on those cold mornings without having to get up early enough to actually make them.  And they are much healthier (and cheaper) than what you buy in the grocery.  Win-Win!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I love recipe's from back when things were simple, and good. I baked too, and I too popped a dozen cupcakes in the freezer. Even just eating them in 2 days they taste better thawed from frozen rather than sitting in a cupcake container for 2 days. They don't get mushy like that in the freezer!

    It seems like a lot of people are baking today. :)

    ReplyDelete