Saturday, April 20, 2013

Reflections on Final Project


Here is what I believe to be the final assignment for my English class.  I debated on filling in fluff or being honest.  I chose being honest.  Let's hope it doesn't reflect poorly on my grade!

Reflect upon your final project. In what ways is it exceeding your expectations? In what ways falling short? What turned out to be helpful resources? In what ways has your understanding of your audience changed since the beginning of the semester? In what ways has your understanding of the material your project covers changed? Explain.

Our final project is a website.  I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it has exceeded my expectations because I understood this class to be about “Finding my e-voice”, learning how to write online, not about creating websites, html coding, and the like.  I am trying to be positive about this but I’m feeling very overwhelmed that I don’t know enough about programming and such that I feel like I am falling short in this.  I can’t really tell if the project is falling short because first, I don’t know enough about programming to be able to say and second, I feel like my team mates are almost dismissing me because of it.  An example of this is that I submitted my part of the project on a Word document; I got an email asking me to convert it in such a way to make it easier to put in the website format.  I was honest with them that I had no idea how to do that.  I haven’t heard anything back from them yet. 

I found the English department website to be quite helpful.  It is somewhat difficult to find everything but with enough looking, the information is there.

My understanding of audience has changed a great deal since the beginning of the semester.  I have now learned that I can change the way that I write based on the audience that will be reading it.  It’s not all about academic writing. 

The material for our project was the concentrations offered at IUPUI within the English Department.  When I first transferred to IUPUI, I didn’t even realize there were so many concentrations within the English department.  I learned that although quite different, they have the same basics.  An English major at IUPUI offers so many ways to use an English degree depending on which concentration you want to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment