Saturday, March 21, 2020

Be kind to one another

I've struggled with whether or not I wanted to write this.  I came to the conclusion that I *need* to write this.  

To start with, I want to acknowledge that COVID-19 is something that will change life as we know it in the near feature and quite possibly beyond that.  This is serious business folks.  Please pay attention to the directions from the CDC and local authorities.

I know many of you are doing what you need to do for the best of the community:  hunkering down, social distancing, not hoarding, etc.  I applaud you!

For those of you who think you are young and not compromised, that you'll be fine.  Let me say this loud and clear.  IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!  Even if you do not get this awful illness, you can be a carrier and take it to your friends or family who ARE compromised or elderly.  I would hope you would not intentionally do something that holds the real possibility killing someone....possibly someone you love.

The directive to practice social distancing, or for those of us who are immune-compromised being quarantined...this is really what I came to write about tonight.  Yes, due to cancer and asthma, I am compromised. My doctors wanted me to stay home but knew that I worked so they requested other than my office, I was to stay home.  I am lucky that my employer decided (about this same time) to have me work from home before the full shut down of the college I work for.  I know how fortunate I am in that respect.  

My husband and I decided that we were going to go all in.  Full quarantine for my safety.  I am trying to do my part for my safety and the safety of my friends, neighbors and medical professionals.  The gearing up for this kept me busy and my mind occupied.  My doctor and I made sure I had 90 days of meds on hand.  I already keep a well stocked pantry & freezer, so we were good there.  I didn't need toilet paper, thank goodness since everyone is making a run on TP supplies!  I set up my temporary office.  Physically, I was ready.

I'll be raw and vulnerable here, so please be kind.  

I consider myself to be a strong person, a true bad-ass.  I've survived cancer, a traumatic brain injury, domestic violence and more.  I can do this, right?  Right.  I can and I will, but I am admitting it is far, far harder than I could have ever imagined.  I am a very socially active person, I am a hugger of all, a person who needs people.  

My work is going surprisingly well, even if I am in the office my students have the opportunity to meet by phone or online, so this is not vastly different...I just don't have to commute.  I have time to work on a couple of pet projects.  I feel like I am handling this part well. 

I miss coffee with friends, lunches with friends, former colleagues and former students, girl's night out, shopping (even for groceries), my son's DeMolay activities, neighborhood activities...shoot, even random conversations at the gas station or with the waitress, etc.  I miss human contact.  Desperately.  I live with a husband and son who are quite ok with being alone for stretches of time.  (Who are these people?  LOL)  I am envious of them being so comfortable with being alone.  They are trying really hard to help me out of my funk.  Bless their hearts I love them so much for trying.  I just feel like a hot mess.

I know I am not alone in what I'm going through right now.  I know this.  But, knowing this doesn't make it easier.  I've had several tearful melt downs.  Once was feeling sorry for myself, which in and of itself, irritates me to no end.  I'm a bad ass, remember?  The others were due to being so very angry at the situation.  More realistically, being mad at COVID-19.  Yup, extremely angry at a virus.  I can recognize that anxiety and depression are controlling all of this right now.  I'm working on researching ways to help alleviate some of this.  I will reach out to my doctor if needed.  There is no shame in asking for help.

Why am I sharing all of this?  I know often in this blog, during weather extremes, I've implored you to check on your elderly and shut in neighbors to see that they're safe and not in need of anything.  I am sharing this with you to remind you all to continue to be a community.  Yes, check on your elderly and shut in neighbors...please either call them or be absolutely sure you are utilizing social distancing when you check on them in person.  Additionally, please check on each other, even your strong friends.  Sometimes, we're not ok.  

Now that all fifty states are affected by this virus, we must realize that we are all in this together.  We are one large community now facing the same invisible enemy.  Let's show the world how awesome we all are in looking out for each other.  Break it down to the small community, even the small section of the street that you are a part of, check on each other.  Help each other out.  Check to see if a neighbor needs you to pick up something for them when you run to the grocery or the pharmacy.  Every little bit will help.  

We are in this together.  Be kind.  Check on each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment