Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ahhh, the September garden

I love my garden.  However, September is always a love-hate relationship between the garden and me.  If you're like me, I spent the last month and a half with putting up the bountiful harvest.  I've canned green beans, tomatoes, tomato juice, corn, pasta & pizza sauce.  I've put celery, cauliflower and green peppers in the freezer.  It's really been a great year.  Everything in the garden was thriving.  Even the weeds...

I spend so much time putting up the goodies from the garden that I don't spend as much time weeding.  Ok, in the last few weeks, I've not spent any time weeding.  Throw in the fact that I've dealt with a lot of health stuff this summer and my garden is sorry looking.  Don't get me wrong, we're still pulling things out but it is sad looking...LOL

Why would I come and tell the world that my garden is a mess?  Because it happens to everyone!  I'll be the first to admit that when "life happens" you have to prioritize and not feel one bit guilty about it.  Rather than let the produce go to waste, I let the weeds have their way.  It happens.  

And of course, the weeds start in good just at the time that, here in Indiana at least, the temperatures hit the 90's and stayed there.  At that point, in my mind anyway, it's just better to harvest and put up the spoils of your hard work rather than sit and watch it spoil!

Bottom line, do NOT feel bad if your garden has gotten some weeds.  It just shows that "life is happening" for you too.

That being said, I think it is about time to look at my carrots and sweet potatoes.  I have successfully grown leeks this year too and need to research how to put those up.  And I am waiting on my succession planting of green beans to be ready.  

There is still a lot of work to do in the garden until the time to close it up for the year but weeding it isn't high on my list.  The professionals will tell you that the weeds are competing for the nutrients in the garden and while that is 100% true, my life is happening.  

Enjoy life, the garden will be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment