Saturday, November 30, 2013

Giving Back

I hope this Saturday after Thanksgiving finds you all healthy, happy and Thankful.  I know that for most people, the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving involve lots of shopping and even more indulgence over and above the Thanksgiving feast.  There is nothing wrong with that in the least.  I'd just like to remind you to remember those less fortunate than we are.

I have talked about my Mom's group before, my IndyMoms, a fantastic group of women who never cease to amaze me.  One of those Moms, Satch, is the owner of the Blue Spatula in Indianapolis.  She organized a "Make them smile" event for people to get together and put together bags for the homeless.  We not only gathered items needed but put the bags together and delivered them to the homeless in downtown.  

As we Moms always do, it's not about spending a large amount of money, it's the little things that I have put together with the little things that another Mom brings and so on and so forth, that add up to make a wonderful bag of stuff.  Included was not only the usual items needed for winter in Indiana, hats, gloves, socks, scarf, and lightweight fleece blankets but also a wash cloth, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste.  We also included bottled water, lunchmeat & cheese sandwiches, pb&J sandwiches, carrots, slim jims, crackers with cheese.  You get the idea.  We had food they could eat now and food for later.  And no one really spent a lot of money.  

My family and I went down to help assembly and distribute the bags.  I should point out that this wasn't just us Moms, everyone brought their whole families.  We had so many children there who were so anxious and willing to help.  The loved the assembly line process of filling the bags and they all got to carry them as we walked the couple of blocks to deliver them.  

I know for me, I was so very touched to see the appreciation of the homeless person receiving the bag as well as the looks on the faces of the children as they realized that THEY were making a difference in their own little way.  Many of them, including my own 9 year old wanted to do more.  He was upset that there were some who didn't get a bag.

As we walked back, there were so many adults in tears and children who had made new friends and had so many ideas about wanting to do more.  It was fun listening to some of their ideas.  It was refreshing to see so many giving back to those less fortunate.  

I don't know if you'd call it a sign (no pun intended) but when I got home and turned on my computer to finish the homework I had left when we headed downtown, but a friend has just posted this sign to Facebook


This is something that more people need to remember.  No matter how little we have or how hard life may be at the moment, there is always something to be thankful for.  (Thanks for posting this sign Michelle).  

There are always those less fortunate than us out there too.  If hands on, face-to-face isn't your thing, please remember that all year, but especially this time of year the  homeless shelters, food pantries, and other agencies can use some extra help to provide some holiday cheer for those in need.

I'm going to throw a plug out here too.  Satch and The Blue Spatula at Jumbo's in the Market are at the City Market downtown.  If you'd like to support a small business that gives back to the community, I'd highly suggest the Chicken Pot Pie and the Dark Chocolate Mousse is divine!

Just know that big or small, organized or a quiet drop off, we can all do something to help.  Little things add up to great things!  How are you going to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment