Sunday, October 6, 2013

Rainy Fall days

It's a rainy day here today.  One of those days where you want to be lazy and sleep.  Unfortunately, I have too much to do for that to be an option...LOL.  A second option is to make the house smell fabulous!  Other than taking my short dude to a birthday party, I'm going to cook today. 

This is a great day for chili.  The nice thing about chili is that for a few minutes of work, you can just let it simmer for a while while you do something else.  I always make a double batch so I can toss some in a Ziploc in the freezer.  I love being able to grab it for a quick lunch on the weekend so I don't have to stop to cook.  And in all honesty, if you have a dinner failure then this is in the freezer to rescue the day.

I will also get my weekly menus together and do whatever I can to prep a head of time.  This might be pre-browning the meat or cutting veggies or setting things out of the freezer to thaw.  Whatever I can do to make the weeknight easier.  Although football is done for the year, I still have school and this week is Parent-Teacher conferences, Scouts...we only thought things would slow down after football season!

I will also bake today for the week.  I just had made 4 dozen cupcakes for Devon's football championship game (They won!  WooHoo!) so I think we'll go with something else this week.  I will make cookies for the week.  Remember too that if you make a batch of cookies but don't want that many cookies available that you can portion out the cookie dough onto wax paper, freeze it and then toss in a Ziploc.  When you want a tray of fresh cookies, just pop out enough to put on a tray and bake.  They take a little longer than fresh but you have warm, yummy cookies in a short amount of time.

I may come up with some other things to make ahead of time as well.  If I'm going to heat up the oven and kitchen, I'll go ahead and make things that I'll need for the week.

What do you do on a rainy day?

No comments:

Post a Comment