Monday, June 17, 2013

Peaches!

We just returned from vacation last night.  We took the kids to Disney and then on to St. Augustine, Florida.  It was a great trip, the kids had so much fun.  Even spending the "you're gonna learn something" day with Mom in the historic part of St. Augustine.  The funny part of it is that they enjoyed it.

I was able to get some southern peaches to bring home to make jam with.  The only downside when I did this last year was hand peeling all of those peaches.  My friend, the chef, tells me this year that I can treat them like tomatoes and blanch and shock them to slip the skins off.  Where, oh where was she last year?  LOL.

For those that don't know what that means, if you take a paring knife and cut a little skin off the top and bottom and then dip the tomato (or peach) into boiling water for 2-3 minutes and then move it to sink full of ice water to stop the cooking process and let them sit there for 2-3 minutes.  The skins should slip right off or need very minimal help in coming off.

That is how I am going to deal with the peaches this year.  Then I'm making jam.  

I know I could have gotten my peaches here but it's always better buying local because it is fresher.  I eliminate the processing and shipping time by getting them myself while I was on vacation.  Of course, this doesn't work when you're flying but we can't afford to fly so we drive...LOL.

That's also a great hint too, if you buy things in your area when they are in season, they are cheaper and fresher.  There is almost always a way to "put up" the items that you get in season.  So stock up while things are fresh and cheap!

If you haven't planted your own stuff, find a U-pick place and take the family and you can pick things pretty quickly working as a team!  Enjoy the fruits and veggies that are fresh and in season now!

No comments:

Post a Comment